Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Wind in the Willows







The always fascinating BibliOdyssey has a great post about the lovely original illustrations by E.H. Shepard for Kenneth Grahame's classic children's story The Wind in the Willows. I particularly love how the creatures portrayed are so true to their respective natures, and yet have such distinctive personalities (unlike the bland cartoonish styles so apt to be used when illustrating animals for children's books). One of my favourite books as a child — and well worth a reread now, too. See more of the illustrations here.

5 comments :

{lorelailette♚} said...

I completely forgot about the wind in the willows until you mentioned it in you're post. The old childrens books and the illustrations in them are so magical and so classical that still today children and adults who think they are children are enjoying it!

x
x
x

Vivi said...

I love this book. So beautiful - both to look at and read.

Jane Flanagan said...

One of my absolute favourite books when I was young.

liza said...

Oh! I remember these illustrations! I loved them then, and now. They have stuck with me more than the words...

Hillary's Brook said...

FANTASTIC post. The memories... Thanks, xx.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...