Wednesday, January 07, 2009

A Little Black Dress

1920's Black Velvet Embroidered Peasant Dress; 1920's Black Silk Flapper Dress


1930's Saks Fifth Ave Long Velvet Evening Dress; 1930's Long Black & Burgundy Velvet Gown


1940's Ceil Chapman Long Black Dress; 1940's I. Magnin Black Beaded Evening Dress


1950's Little Black Ruffle Dress; 1950's Jay Herbert Low Back Bow Dress


1960's Jacques Heim Little Black Dress; 1960's Black Chiffon Pink Bow Dress


I'm going to the ballet next month (an unexpected and fun Christmas gift for two from my lovely brother), and I've been pondering what to wear ever since I got the tickets. The icy temperatures we're currently enduring will probably make me decide to go with something warm, but aren't these lovely vintage dresses from Posh Girl Vintage wonderful to dream about? I've picked two pieces each from five decades here (though they also have great stuff from the 1970s and 1980s), but I have to say that I absolutely loved all the dresses from the 1950s. Gorgeous. Happily discovered via design is mine.

4 comments :

Jane Flanagan said...

I always try to dress up for theatre and ballets, even if it means door to door cabs so I don't slip on any ice!

Joanna Goddard said...

beautiful. and enjoy the ballet!!!

Lori Langille said...

I agree, Jane — we'll definitely be getting door to door cabs so we can dress for the occasion, but the currently unresolved transit strike (yes, it's STILL on) means that we might have a very long and cold wait after the show. Fingers crossed it's done soon!

Thanks so much, Joanna!

:-)

Anonymous said...

Hey
Do you have examples of Little Black Dresses beyond 1960?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...