Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Yves Saint Laurent: Love





Let me tell you how I spent my day yesterday. It was in Montreal, at the Musée des Beaux Arts, having a religious experience at the stunning Yves Saint Laurent retrospective. Actually, I'm still at a loss for words, but what I will say is this: there is no comparison between seeing the clothes in photographs, on TV or in films, and actually viewing them up close. These pieces have a presence and a richness of detail that are simply not visible when viewed through an intervening medium. I am in awe of the virtuoso creativity of Yves Saint Laurent -- it is breathtaking to see how effortlessly he blended an instinct for beauty with a wildly unfettered imagination. The exhibit runs until September 28, so you have a few days left to catch it in Montreal before it heads off to San Francisco, where it'll be for a few months before heading back home to Paris.

4 comments :

d i a n a m u s e said...

Lucky, lucky, lucky you! And I love what you wrote.

I'm planning a late-fall trip to SF (my town of origin--but I haven't been there for something like 20 years!) with this show in mind. My only regret is that I'll miss the Frida Kahlo exhibition that's currently at SFMOMA.

Thanks for sharing this, Lori. I look forward to digging through all the splendid posts that I've missed the past few weeks...especially your Buffet!!

Jane Flanagan said...

Awesome post! I love the Musee des Beaux Arts - saw the Cocteau exhibit there in 2004 and it was perfectly curated.

Wish I'd been able to get back for this one. You've painted a beautiful picture of it!

thevintagechair said...

wow! Lucky girl... what an experience!



www.thevintagechair.blogspot.com

Lori Langille said...

Diana: Thanks so much! Looking forward to hearing your own impressions of the YSL show when you see it in SF!

Jane: It was your mention of this show in a post earlier this summer that got me there yesterday to see it, so Thank You for that. I owe you one!

thevintagechair: I do indeed feel lucky -- it was wonderful!

:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...