Monday, June 02, 2008

Archive: Delicate Beauty







English stylist Carolyn Quartermaine has an impressive résumé, working regularly with clients such as Louis Vuitton and Donna Karan, all drawn to her distinct romantic vision. Besides designing interiors, Carolyn is also known for her exquisite hand painted fabric collections, rugs, tiles and packaging – and also manages to find the time to occasionally art direct for magazines and private companies, too. Here, in her own London apartment, her eighteenth century influences mix easily with a 1940s-era chandelier or two, a 1960s metal chair, Venetian mirrors, and the odd Saarinen tulip table. The result is a light and very feminine interior that is not without a sense of playfulness. Scanned from a late 90s edition of Marie Claire Maison. (Photography: Guy Bouchet)

9 comments :

Christina said...

Wow! I absolutely adore the colors in the first photo. Stunning.

Jane Flanagan said...

The second image incorporated my all-time favourite elements. Feminine French romance juxtaposed against classic modern deisgn in the tulip. Ahhhh!

Pamcasso said...

gorgeous.

Ashley L. said...

i love the orange/coral silk comforter. it is simply gorgeous! this is my first visit to your blog and i must say that it is beautiful! wonderful job. i'm going to add you to my blogroll. feel free to stop by mine sometime soon :)

Lori Langille said...

Christina: Aren't they lovely colours? So delicate, but not at all bland.

Jane: Me too!!! That's my ideal bedroom, actually -- 18th century with a bit of modern. Pretty without being over the top.

Pamcasso: Isn't it just so nice to visit Carolyn's home, even virtually?

Ashley: Thanks so much for visiting -- and for adding me to your blogroll, too! Your own blog is just lovely!

:-)

All Things Bright and Beautiful... said...

Oh man Lori - I'm sorry I didn't even leave a comment on this. My humblest apologies.

As you know - I think this these rooms are beautiful:-)

I'm more into clear colours usually and pinks and blues rather than oranges - but I must say - I have been convinced otherwise after seeing these beautiful rooms.

Are you a oranges and brown or pinks and reds or blues and greens person?

Lori Langille said...

No worries! As for colour choices in a decor, usually I'm drawn towards browns and neutrals in a light background, with splashes of whatever colour looks interesting ...

:-)

coco+kelley said...

i can't get over the chair wrapped in fabric like that. beautiful styling!

Lori Langille said...

Isn't that amazing? Love it too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...